Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment has officially announced that it will bring Oscar home to the Disney Blu-Ray & DVD family on August 21, 2012 when it releases Disneynature’s Chimpanzee (available now on Pre-Order).
From Disneynature, the studio that brought you Earth, Oceans and African Cats, comes Chimpanzee — a remarkable story of individual triumph and family bonds. Journey deep into the African rainforest and meet Oscar, an adorable young chimp with an entertaining approach to life. The world is a playground for little Oscar and his fellow young chimps who love creating mayhem. Full of curiosity, a zest for discovery, joy and a love for mimicking others, they are some of the most extraordinary personalities in the animal kingdom.
To celebrate the in-home debut of Chimpanzee, Disneynature is proud to continue the “See Chimpanzee, Save Chimpanzees” conservation program initiated with the film’s theatrical release. For every purchase of the movie through August 27, 2012, Disneynature will make a donation through the Disney Worldwide Conservation Fund to the Jane Goodall Institute (JGI) to conserve chimpanzee habitat, educate the next generation, and provide care for orphaned chimpanzees.
The conservation program tied to the theatrical release will help protect 129,236 acres (202 square miles) of wild chimpanzee habitat through infrastructure investments in the expanded Tchimpounga Nature Reserve in the Republic of Congo (Congo); educate 60,000 schoolchildren about chimpanzee conservation; and provide food and medicine for nearly all of the orphaned
Bonus features are set to include
- “See ‘Chimpanzee,’ Save Chimpanzees” — This feature details the “See ‘Chimpanzee,’ Save Chimpanzees” conservation program and how for every copy of the film purchased until August 27, 2012, Disneynature will make a donation to JGI to protect chimpanzees today and tomorrow. The feature also includes an interview with Dr. Jane Goodall, DBE, founder of the Jane Goodall Institute and UN Messenger of Peace.
- Disney’s Friends for Change — This feature highlights Disney’s Friends for Change, a program that showcases steps that kids and families can take to make a positive impact on the world and the people and animals that live there.
- Disney’s Conservation Legacy — This feature provides a look at the conservation efforts that Disney sponsors around the world.
Everything on the DVD, plus …
- ON LOCATION: THE MAKING OF CHIMPANZEEis a series of exciting short features that delve further into the incredible lengths the filmmakers went to tell the story of Oscar and his chimpanzee family.
- 30 Years in the Making—The story of the team of researchers who have been observing chimpanzees in the Ivory Coast for 30 years.
- The Heart of the “Chimpanzee”—A behind-the-scenes look at how and why the film was made.
- Piece of the Puzzle—A cameraman’s two-hour daily trek through the forest to get to the chimpanzees.
- Don’t Blame the Tool—An observation of the chimpanzees’ daily lives and how they use rocks as tools to prepare their food.
- Scar’s Army—An inside look at the struggles between the film’s two rival chimpanzee groups who share the same forest home.
- Camp Invaders—A featurette on all the creepy, crawly creatures found at the filmmakers’ forest camp.
- Forest of Bees—A feature detailing how the crew spent two days wading through a sea of bees that inhabited their filming location in order to capture 20 seconds of footage.
- “Rise” Music Video—A music video featuring Hollywood Records recording artists McClain Sisters who wrote and performed the inspirational song that plays during the film’s end credits.
- Behind the Scenes of “Rise”—An inside look at McClain Sisters music video shoot.
Will YOU be buying Chimpanzee?