Raphael Alejandro is more than just an actor.
The 12-year-old Canadian, who stars as Matteo on Disney Channel’s BUNK’D, can speak for languages and knows ASL.
“I speak four languages: Portuguese, Spanish, French and English, and I would love to learn Italian to add to my arsenal of Romantic Languages,” Alejandro tells Celeb Secrets. “I also learned a little bit of ASL on my current show. A girl who is deaf was a guest star in one episode of Season 4, and in my scenes, I acted as her translator.”
The episode, which aired earlier this month, featured guest star Shaylee Mansfield, who played young camper Willow whom Gwen suspected was a forest fairy. Mansfield is a deaf actress and told Just Jared Jr. that the experience brought the best acting out of her.
“On my first day of working on set, I was really nervous. What would it be like working with the cast? Will they welcome me?” she said.
This all faded away as soon as the cast invited me to eat lunch with them. They even asked me what’s the sign for this or that. All of this made me feel more connected with the cast, which brought the best acing out of me for Bunk’d!”
Raphael is reconnecting with Shaylee tomorrow for a special IG Live at 7PM ET/4PM PT on his Instagram page. The duo will be answering questions and there will be an ASL interpreter available.
Keep scrolling to learn five fun facts you would never know about Raphael Alejandro. You can catch him on new episodes of Bunk’d every Friday @ 8PM EST on Disney Channel and DisneyNOW.
- I speak four languages: Portuguese, Spanish, French and English, and I would love to learn Italian to add to my arsenal of Romantic Languages. I also learned a little bit of ASL on my current show Bunk’d. A girl who is deaf was a guest star in one episode of Season 4, and in my scenes, I acted as her translator.
- I am a big fan of action-adventure video games, particularly The Legends of Zelda franchise, and my favorite one being “Majora’s Mask”.
- I love the Marvel Universe, and my favorite superhero is Spider-man. I would love to play Spider-man in a live action movie in the future.
- One of my aspirations academically is to become an environmental lawyer, and create my own non-profit law firm.
- My mom is a breast cancer survivor, and since I have first hand understanding of the hardships that the families of those survivors experience, I would like to create a foundation to support them.